raffreckons

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Truce Collapses?

As i sit here frantically working away, i noticed on the BBC ticker that flickers across the top of my screen a news story about “Truce collapses in Somali capital.” Now (and I’ll admit it is in a dorky way) I found this somewhat amusing, as I did not recall that unfortunate little nation ever actually having a truce in the first place. Granted, I do not sit around contemplating Somalia, but I have a peripheral awareness borne from curiosity about the place. Anyhoo, I read the article and it turns out the truce was called on Tuesday and was the result of a lack of ammunition more than anything else. How depressing.

Initially, this was meant to be humorous about how comical it was that the country’s truce could be broken before it was even known that it had happened, but then in reality it is even worse. So theoretically, funnier. However, it is pretty sad. Oh well.

This is a somewhat random entry. However, I have decided to start using this as thus, since otherwise I never get anything down.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    the problems in somalia have occupied italy particularly for years - it used to be like spain was for leftists before the second world war - the place for young lefty italians to blood themselves...perhaps it is that italian spin docs (and they do have them)have damped the story down, away from the New York Times and washington post and financial times, etc. it has been long and bloody - and it is surprising they ever even managed to get some kind of truce going at all.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home